9 Best Paints for Kitchen Cabinets to Make it Feel Awesome
Paints are like a magic wand that can change the look of everything, so kitchen cabinets are no exception. It is the easiest way of giving your old cabinets a makeover and change the entire look of your kitchen.
Kitchen cabinets are of different types and so is paint. Be it oil-based or water-based latex paint, choosing the one that would be compatible with your cabinet is not an as easy job as it seems to be. Finding the right color and buying the best type is extremely crucial.
Do you like lots of bright colors or settle down for subtle tones? Do you want a paint that complements the surrounding decor or statement paint that stands out from the rest of the kitchen furniture?
Apart from color, a lot of other crucial factors come into consideration before picking the right paint to spruce up your kitchen cabinet.
The type of paint you want, Low VOC, quality, budget are major factors. In case you are choosing it yourself then ease of application is another very important factor that holds prominence.
Not to miss the paint should be durable enough to stand up a lot for rigorous use. To have professional-style results, it’s imperative that you need to plan like them.
Remodeling your countertops can be expensive and finding the best paint for it can be a challenging task. If you have a limited area for kitchen, check out small kitchen design ideas for awesome kitchen in a small area.
To make this task easy for you, we have listed 9 Best Paints for kitchen cabinets that are perfect for your kitchen makeovers on a budget:
#1. General Finishes JQ Oil Base Gel Stain
It is one of the best oil-based gel stains for upcycling furniture and cabinets. Out of all the General Finishes’ products, this is the stain that has the most “finishing feel.” It recolors wood without damaging it or the furniture around it. Take a look at its features:
- Type – It is a heavy-bodied gel stain and does not penetrate deeply into the wood, thereby providing the deepest and richest colors. It comes in a wide variety of colors. However, if you want a completely unified color, apply some extra coats.
- Ease of use – Application is quite easier, and it gives “hand-rubbed” kind of look without much effort. You can wipe on with a cloth or apply it with a foam brush. Spills can be easily wiped away with mineral spirit.
- Quality – It even works great on difficult woods such as aspen or pine. The product flows out evenly, preventing any uneven penetration. It allows for consistent color control for a more even appearance.
With the best combination of affordability and quality, this paint will give a very natural appearance to your beloved kitchen cabinets.
#2. Minwax Wood Finish
For kitchen cabinets that have been worn by use, Minwax Wood Finish is excellent for restoring their natural beauty. Don’t mistake this product for covering any imperfections on wood pieces. It will merely color the surface to enhance its appearance. Take a look at its features:
- Type – It is an oil-based wood stain that penetrates deep into wood fibers to highlight the grain. It delivers such beautiful, rich colors, that can easily enhance the look of any bare or stripped wood surface.
- Ease of use – It is effortless to use and wipes up easily. It can be easily applied with a natural bristle brush, cloth, or foam applicator.
- Quality – It is a bit thinner in quality, requiring you to apply a few more extra coats to get your job done. It is ideal for wood furniture, floors, trim, doors, crafts, and other wood projects.
Affordably priced, this is a product that will be loved not only by you but also by your wallet. For all budget-conscious people who want a good quality paint for kitchen cabinets, this one is worth the value.
#3. Rust-Oleum 285140 Ultra Matte Chalked Paint
Suitable for indoor use only, it creates an ultra-matte finish that will entirely modify and rejuvenate the kitchen cabinets.
Since it is water-based, it becomes lighter to handle; therefore it is an excellent option for DIY projects. It can be easily distressed to create a vintage look. Take a look at its features:
- Type – It is a latex-based, water-based formula that features a low-odor. It is suitable to be used on a range of surfaces such as wood, ceramic, metal, and canvas.
- Ease of use – It requires minimum prep and provides easy one-coat coverage. The best part about these paints is that it gets dry in 30 minutes and it is easily cleanable with soap and water. You can use it with or without a primer, depending on how you want your kitchen cabinet to look.
- Quality – With superior coverage and adhesion, it creates an ultra-matte sheen that dries to a velvety, smooth finish. With its single can of paint, it gives coverage of one hundred and fifty square feet in a single coat.
Quite versatile, this chalked paint is great to quickly re-paint your kitchen cabinet without any mess. Genuinely priced, this one is a perfect purchase.
#4. Giani Countertop Paint Kit
This kit comes equipped with a varied range of tools and formulas that can easily transform your outdated countertops to look like granite.
It can easily cover countertop materials such as Formica, Corian, laminate, ceramic tile, cultured marble, butcher’s block, and traditional granite. Let’s discuss its features:
- Type – It is a low odor, water-based acrylic paint formula that delivers a very high-glossy finish. It comes in five versatile colors that easily complements any kitchen and bath decor.
- Ease of use – No lengthy preparation is required. A simple 3-step process with all tools included. Cleanup is easier with Giani Countertop Cleaner or gentle soap and water. Each layer needs time to dry before you move on to the next layer.
- Quality – This product is also capable of hiding any existing stains, scratches, or burns. It comes with a durable acrylic topcoat for protection against everyday use. Each kit can cover around thirty-five square feet of countertop or workstation space.
It has everything you need to transform your space on a budget. If you want to get the look of real granite countertops in your kitchen, this one is a must buy.
#5. Retique It by Renaissance
Made by only the highest quality ingredients, this paint has been designed keeping the environment safety in mind. It’s a zero-emissions paint with almost no odor. This paint has been specifically designed for furniture and cabinets. Take a look at its features:
- Type – It’s a water-based formula that makes use of real wood in it. This paint is quick thick and provides even-leveling coverage, which means that it smoothens out itself out as it dries. It helps you save a lot of time in correcting your paint thickness related mistakes.
- Ease of use – No need for sanding, stripping, or priming. The application is quite easier, and it can be cleaned with just soap and water. It is great for virtually any hard surface.
- Quality – It is hypoallergenic, so it is safe for you and your family members if you have any noted allergy to one of the ingredients. It gives a very superior coverage- usually, 1 to 2 coats are only required.
If you are looking out for a paint, that gives excellent hide and durability, while lending a silky chalky finish that is smooth to the touch, this one is a perfect buy. Genuinely priced, it is neither cheap nor costly.
#6. General Finishes MKWQ Chalk Style Paint
Designed to use for indoor purposes, this latex paint may be chalk style but does not possess the drawback of chalk paint such as chipping. Take a look at its features:
- Type – It is a casual interior matte paint that dries to the touch in 30 minutes. Due to its thick texture, it conceals the surface beneath well. It comes in 20 contemporary colors.
- Ease of use – It can be easily applied with any tool, be it compressed air sprays, brushes, and rollers. It can even be sprayed with compressed air, help airless & C.A.S. units. No need to use sealers, unless your kitchen cabinets are too rough. It can be easily cleaned with soap and water.
- Quality – Quite versatile, it can be intermixed with other paints to get different colors. You can even combine it with primers for hard-to-paint surfaces.
Durable and protective, it is a great type of paint for kitchen cabinets. Quite versatile and offering high coverage properties, this one truly justifies its price tag.
#7. Nuvo Driftwood 1 Day Cabinet Makeover Kit
With simple tools which deliver professional results, Nuvo Driftwood one-day cabinet makeover kit offers a soft, satin finish. Each kit covers 100 square feet of the cabinet surface. Take a look at its features:
- Type – This one is water-based acrylic paint and primer in one. It is safe, low-odor, and low in VOC. It is ideal for use on wood, laminate and primed, or painted metal cabinets.
- Ease of use – It requires no stripping, no priming, just a very minimal preparation is needed. All you need is a simple, brush, and roll-on application.
- Quality – It can easily cover most existing wood finishes and paint in a single coat. Being water-resistant, it easily withstands the wear and tear of everyday use without additional topcoats.
Overall, it is easy to use and offers a great finish. This DIY one-day cabinet makeover process can easily transform your space on a budget.
#8. INSL-X CC550109A-01 Cabinet Coat Enamel
Providing a durable, factory-like finish, it can easily refurbish your worn-out kitchen cabinets. It gives 350- 450 square foot coverage per gallon. Take a look at its features:
- Type – It is an enamel paint that delivers high quality, super-smooth satin finish. It uses a urethane-acrylic formula to cover hard-to-coat surfaces without a primer. It provides adhesion to almost anything.
- Ease of use – No priming is needed if the surface is in good condition. It can work on multiple surfaces, including bare metal and wood. Cleanup is easy with warm soapy water.
- Quality – It easily resists chipping, scuffing, food stains, grease & water. It barely flakes or breaks, therefore will last for years. It has the capability to self-level itself, which means it reduces brush strokes and hence lesser wastage of time in corrections.
Quite versatile, this will paint your kitchen cabinets like new. Genuinely priced, this ultimate satin enamel paint finish is worth the consideration.
#9. Sinopia All Natural Artisanal Milk Paint
After years of testing and development, Sinopia has developed an all-natural paint base that could be used without any preparation.
Made with all-natural ingredients, Sinopia All Natural Artisanal Milk Paint can even be used outdoors. Here are its features:
- Type – It is a simple, dilutable milk paint that can be easily applied over a wide area. This paint also contains natural oils and is designed for all kinds of applications. It is odorless and has no chemical fumes.
- Ease of use – No preparation is required. It’s ready to use straight from the container. It is very easy to apply and can be applied with any tool, even a sponge. It can be thinned with water and easily cleans up with water.
- Quality – It can be applied to any surface, both indoors and outdoors. It delivers a smooth, matte finish and doesn’t react with base materials.
- It is one of the most sustainable paints available in the market. If you don’t want to get into the mess of mixing or complicated procedures, then this one is just perfect for painting your kitchen cabinets.
Remodeling your kitchen cabinets with painting is the easiest and affordable way to give your kitchen a makeover. Along with that, you should also renovate your dining area for awesome meals. Here are some of the best decor ideas for dining rooms.
If you want professional-style results, make sure you do prep before you begin painting.
The right kind of prep, primer, and paint can make a lot of difference in the appearance of your kitchen cabinets.